Dogs come in all shapes and sizes which means not all breeds require the same care. Some dogs require more exercise while others are perfectly fine being couch potatoes. What about the bowls they eat out of? You would assume standard plastic dog bowls would be sufficient for your dog but unfortunately that isn’t the case. Dog food and water bowls come in many variations to properly accommodate your dog’s needs.
If you have long-eared dogs, then there’s a good chance they frequently get their ears wet when getting a drink of water. Regular dog water bowls have wide openings and are low to the ground which isn’t sufficient for keeping floppy dog ears dry. Wet ears can lead to ear infections and according to the Cost of Pet Health Care 2018 report, ear infections are one of the top three reasons for dog owners to visit the vet.
How do you keep your dog’s ears dry when drinking from their bowl?
Thankfully someone has solved this dilemma and it’s called a “Spaniel Bowl.” These long eared dog bowls get their name after the famous long ears of the Spaniel breed and are specially designed to keep any dog breeds ears dry when drinking water. The key features to look at when making a choice are how deep the bowl is and if the opening is narrow so that only the snout of your dog will fit.
Super Design Elevated Dog Bowl
Comfort is important when it comes to feeding and giving your dogs water. While the main goal of the bowls mentioned here are to give you options for long eared dog bowls, they will also provide your dog a comfortable position to eat and drink in. The Super Design Raised Dog Feeder is great for relieving neck pressure on your dog. Whether you have an older dog or just want to take better care of your furry friend, this water and food bowl will make meals more comfortable and enjoyable.
The Non spill dog bowl has a higher edge and is raised compared to the standard feeding or water bowl that sits inches from the ground. While not specifically made to keep your dog’s ears dry, the raised bowl makes it so your dog doesn’t have to lean as far over their bowl. This prevents their ears from hanging down and dragging through the water (if you use it for a dog water bowl).
Key Feature of the Super Design Elevated Dog Bowl:
- Reduces Strain on the Joints & Neck – The raised design promotes good posture which helps make eating and drinking more comfortable as well as aiding in effective digestion,
- Non-Spill Design – The bowls melamine stand has rubber strips under it which keep the bowl in place when in use. This along with the higher edge on part of the bowl help prevent any slipping or spills.
- Easy to Handle – The bowl is designed with a curve handle on the side making it easy to pick up to wash or put away when not in use.
PETISH Spaniel Bowl for Long Ear Dog
This Spaniel Bowl is a specially designed long ear dog bowl that will aid in keeping your dog’s ears dry and free from ear infections and tangled hair. As mentioned before, the bowl is named after the Spaniel breed but it’s suitable for all dog breeds who happen to have long ears. The bowl is designed to be higher up and deeper than standard dog water bowls. It keeps the water in the bowl and not all over your dog or the surrounding floor.
The reason this specific bowl makes the list is because it’s more than just a bowl for dogs with long ears, but it has some premium materials and build qualities all dog owners can appreciate. It’s made with brushed stainless steel making it easy to clean and free from any harmful chemicals. The design ensures the bowl will last a long time and provide an enjoyable watering experience for your dog.
Key Features of the PETISH Spaniel Bowl for Long Ear Dogs:
- Narrow & Deep Design – Easily the most important feature for anyone looking at this list for a suitable bowl for their long-eared dog. It will keep them and the surrounding areas completely dry after drinking water.
- Rubber Bottom – Often overlooked, a rubber bottom prevents shaking and moving of the bowl when your dog is eating or drinking. No more chasing the bowl around.
- Stainless Steel – High-quality build makes cleaning the bowl quick and easy as well as ensuring it lasts for a long time.
Dogit Elevated Stainless Steel Dog Food & Water Bowl
A common theme you’ll find when looking for dog bowls that are suitable for dogs with long ears is that they are almost always raised or elevated bowls. The Dogit Elevated Dog Water Bowl is no exception. It’s designed to give your dog a more comfortable position to eat and drink in. It’s perfect for any dogs who have muscle or joint problems but it’s also great at keeping long ears dry when drinking water.
This particular bowl comes in two sizes: Small (3.5 inches tall and 6 inches wide) or Large (6.7 inches tall and 8 inches wide). Depending on your dog, the large bowl is likely to be the better choice just for comfort due to its extra height.
Key Features of the Dogit Elevated Dog Bowl, Stainless Steel Food & Water Dish for Dogs:
- Elevated Design – Allows your dog to eat and drink in a more comfortable position and keeps your dog’s long ears dry.
- Stainless Steel – The stainless steel insert can easily be removed for cleaning and is completely dishwasher safe.
- Comfort for Older Dogs – Older dogs or those with joint issues struggle with leaning over to drink or eat from bowls that are only an inch or so off the ground. Raised dog bowls help them reach their food and water easier without putting unnecessary pressure on their joints and neck.
Slopper Stopper Dripless Water Bowl
Already on our list of the best spill proof dog water bowls, the Slopper Stopper Dripless Dog Water Bowl makes a return to another list. This it’s listed as a great long ear dog bowl to keep ears dry when drinking water. This dripless water bowl is specially created to reduce water spills and drippage by at least 85%. The great thing about this product is that it also has a narrow opening.
The narrow opening is the most important feature to look for when trying to find a water or food bowl for your long-eared dog. The results this bowl guarantees are just a bonus to keeping your dog’s ears dry. The dripless water bowl can double as a food bowl if you need it to and is a great portable dog water bowl to keep your dog hydrated when on the road. The bowl comes in a size that fits any dog so don’t hesitate to give the Slopper Stopper a try if traditional spaniel dog bowls aren’t producing the results you were hoping for.
Key Features of the Slopper Stopper Water Bowl:
- Lid Design – The special design of the lid keeps your dog’s ears, snout and feet dry during and after getting a drink of water.
- Multiple Sizes – They have a bowl that is the perfect size for every breed so you can be confident when purchasing that it’ll work for your dog regardless of how big or small they are. Current sizes listed are:
- Small (0-20 lbs),
- Medium (21-50 lbs)
- Large (51-85 lbs)
- Giant (86-130 lbs)
- Mammoth (131+ lbs).
- Stainless Steel Bowl – High-quality stainless steel makes it easy to clean and durable. All the parts of the bowl are listed as dishwasher safe but it might be best to just hand wash everything to ensure your bowl lasts as long as possible
Note: It’s recommended that you pick the bowl that fits your dog’s optimal weight and not exactly how much they currently weigh.
MPP Stainless Steel Dog Water Dish
Not much to say about the MPP dog water bowl because it’s a very basic bowl. Stainless steel design that has a narrow top which is perfect for dogs with long ears. It has a non-slip bottom to prevent your dog from pushing it around when getting a drink and isn’t likely to tip over either. This prevents spills leading to wet floors and is great for long-eared dog breeds.
Not much is listed about the bowl online but the few reviews that have been left make us feel confident in recommending it. At least two reviewers say it was great at keeping their cocker spaniel and other long eared dog’s ears out of their food and water which is the purpose of creating this list.
Key Features of the MPP Stainless Steel Dog Bowl:
- Rust Proof – Stainless steel is hygienic and rust-proof which is important for water bowls.
- 30 oz capacity – 30 ounces should be plenty when it comes to supplying your dog a place to get a drink. You might have to refill it a few times throughout the day though. If that’s a problem then this might not be the bowl for you.
- Dishwasher Safe – It’s listed as safe for the dishwasher but we always recommend hand washing our dog’s dishes just to make sure they are actually clean and it helps them last longer.
Fed "N" Watered Spaniel Bowl
Last but definitely not least is the Fed “N” Watered Spaniel Water Bowl, which is designed to keep the ears dry for any long-eared dog breed. This bowl is perfect for anyone who wants a bowl that was completely designed to solve this particular problem. Compared to traditional dog bowls, this bowl is designed to keep the ears out of the water and food. Besides the obvious benefit of dry dog ears, this bowl will also help keep your floor and furniture dry as well. Dogs that get their ears wet when drinking water get everything around them wet so this bowl has nothing but benefits.
Key Features of the Fed “N” Watered Spaniel Bowl:
- Non-Slip Dog Bowl – Rubber feet on the bottom of the bowl prevent it from being pushed around so it’ll stay wherever you place it.
- Dishwasher Safe – Most of these bowls are listed as dishwasher safe so if you must put them in the dishwasher, they should be perfectly fine and come out nice and clean.
- Custom Design – It’s designed as a long eared dog bowl and it does its job adequately No mess or fuss when using it. It even has raised sides to make picking the bowl up simple and struggle-free.
Avoiding Ear Infections in Dogs with Long Ears
According to the AKC (American Kennel Club), ear infections are pretty common for dog breeds who have longer or floppy ears. If you have a dog with long ears, it’s important to take steps to prevent infections. One of the easiest steps is to make sure your furry friend always has dry ears. Dog owners who aren’t familiar with these breeds can often overlook the small things that can make their lives easier, such as purchasing a long eared dog bowl, which is why we thought it important to make this list.
While keep your dog’s ears dry is a great way at reducing their chances of getting an ear infection, there are other causes of ear infections such as:
- Wax Buildup
- Ear Mites
- And more….
If you want to know the best ways to prevent these things and avoid ear infections, we recommend visiting your local veterinarian to learn everything you can about keeping your floppy eared friend happy and healthy.
Disclaimer: The content provided here on Ultimutt Dog Life is not a replacement for professional veterinarian advice or treatment. We always encourage you to visit your veterinarian regularly to provide your dog with the best medical care possible and to answer any questions you might have about your dog’s condition.