Anyone who has owned a German Shepherd knows they like to drip water all over the house anytime they get a drink. No amount of training or towels will keep your floor dry from their sloppy drinking. The best water bowl for German Shepherds is designed to limit how much water your shepherd can get at any given time. This reduces the amount of water that will drip out after getting a drink.
With so many different bowls on the market, it’s easy to get overwhelmed when trying to choose a bowl for your GSD. As mentioned before, water bowls designed to reduce spilling and slobber are going to be your best bet to keep your floors dry.
UPSKY No-Spill Pet Water Bowl
This 35 ounce water bowl is designed to keep your floors dry no matter how sloppy of a drink your GSD may be. The adjustable floating disk slows down how fast your dog can drink his water. When your shepherd’s tongue pushes on the floating disk, the bowl will release a little bit of water at a time. Just enough to keep your dog hydrated but not so much that their face becomes covered in water and drips everywhere when they walk away from their bowl.
- Extra large capacity means you don’t need to fill it as often
- Detachable Design – Easy to clean
- Non-Skidding pads on the bottom prevent slipping
- Anti-spill design keeps dog hair and the floors dry
- Made of plastic – Possible to chew through if your dog likes to chew on his bowl
- Easy to knock over – Some dog figure out how to step in the bowl to force more water out which can cause a mess
Petmate No Spill Bowl
Built from a sturdy plastic and a splash-proof design, this water bowl is an effective and affordable option if you’re still not convinced a spill proof water bowl will make a difference. This bowl narrows the opening your dog has to reach his water. The design is to keep your dog from fitting his entire face into the water and dragging half the bowls contents across your floor after every drink.
- No spill design keeps your floor dry
- Easy to clean
- Built with durable plastic
- Hold 48 ounces of water
- Dishwasher Safe
- Some users reported that it can still be picked up or tipped over by dogs who like to play with their bowls
Kurgo No Spill Dog Travel Bowl
This water bowl can be used at home or on the go to keep your car from becoming a mess when you try to give your GSD a drink on a road trip. The collapsible design and narrow opening is convenient for keeping your dog hydrated without making a mess. The 24 ounce design is the perfect amount of water while traveling. If used at home, you’ll likely be filling it up more often than you’d like so a regular full-sized bowl might be best.
- Collapsible design for easy storage while traveling
- Holds 24 ounces – Just enough to get a drink while on the road
- Made of safe materials for your dog
- Dishwasher Safe
- Lifetime Warranty – Protects against manufacturer defects
- Tapered lip reduces any splashing when drinking in the car
- Not to be used unsupervised – An energetic chewer can shred it apart in minutes
- Can be picked up and dumped out – Best to help your GSD get a drink then put it away
AmazonBasics Stainless Steel Dog Bowl
Not exactly designed to prevent your dog from making a watery mess but it’s still a great bowl for outdoors or inside if your German Shepherd isn’t a messy drinker. This basic stainless steel bowl is durable and great for puppies, dogs, kittens and cats. Can be used as a food or water bowl which makes it a very versatile and affordable option when looking for a bowl for your GSD.
- Durable Stainless steel that can take a beating
- Holds up to 38 ounces of water or food
- Resistant to rust
- No-tip design
- Rubber feet prevent your dog from pushing it around and won’t scratch your floor
- Dishwasher Safe
- Users have reported that it is lightweight so bigger dogs can splash water everywhere with the slightest tap
- Water spots are permanent from some reports
- Rubber liner to prevent sliding can come off in some cases
Vivaglory Dog Bow with Non Spill Mat
Dog bowls for sloppy drinkers are not uncommon, but having a well-designed and effective combination of a quality bowl and non spill mat can be hard to find. These dog bowls are stainless steel bowls with silicone mats that fit around them to catch any of the extra food or water that might drip while your dog eats or drinks. If your GSD won’t drink out of a specialized bowl, then maybe a regular bowl with a catch mat will be enough to keep your floors clean
- Comes in 4 sizes: 6½ fl oz (200ml), 13½ fl oz (400ml), 28½ fl oz (850ml), 50 fl oz (1940ml)
- Wide selection of colors
- Stainless steel bowl is durable
- Skid resistant spill mat is easy to clean and prevents the bowls from moving around while drinking or eating
- Dishwasher safe
- Puppies may try to use the mat for teething. We recommend only letting them use it under supervision
- Folding the mat may leave it deformed and unable to lay flat
Torus Pet Water Bowl
None of the other bowls on our list of the best water bowls for German Shepherds offer anything quite like this particular bowl. The Torus pet water bowl offers 2-liters of fresh filtered water for your GSD and is great for at home or on the road. This bowl has a fresh active carbon filter that keeps your dog’s water clean and free from any harmful materials.
- Half-Gallon capacity that’s ideal for larger dogs
- Travel-friendly lock allows you to take it on the road without creating a mess
- Active carbon filter to keep the water fresh and clean
- No batteries or power supply required
- Made from BPA-free materials
- Easy to clean
- Not ideal for chewers
- Some dogs may not like drinking out of it
- Some customers reported leaks developing over time
Important Features to Consider
Before deciding on what bowl you’re going to buy for your German Shepherd, you should first consider a few things:
- Size – Obviously German Shepherds are large dogs but that doesn’t necessarily mean you want the biggest water bowl you can find. Smaller bowls mean less water to drip on the floor, but you don’t want a bowl you have to fill multiple times per day.
- Material – Stainless steel, ceramic and plastic are the most common materials used for bowls and each have their pros and cons. We recommend a high-quality plastic that is BPA free or stainless steel for German Shepherds.
- Design – The most important feature to consider if you want to reduce the amount of water on your floors but if it’s an outside bowl, you probably want something that can withstand being tossed and knocked around a little more.
Best Water Bowl For German shepherds Summary
No matter the best water bowl for German Shepherds, make sure it’s one your dog will actually use. Some dogs will refuse to drink from certain bowls, so it might take a few tries before finding one your dog will drink from. It’s also important to keep the water bowl clean and full of water they can access at any time.
The recommended amount of water a dog should drink each day is roughly 0.5-1 ounce of water per pound they weigh. So if your GSD weighs 100 pounds, then you’ll need to keep 50-100 ounces of water available to them every day. Finding the perfect bowl can encourage them to drink more water.