Keeping your dog hydrated while you’re home, but finding an outdoor dog water bowl for your dog when you’re not home can be a challenge. Some dogs are rough with their bowls and if your furry friend knocks over his water bowl, it could leave him with nothing to drink throughout the day and lead to dehydration. With a huge list of outside dog water bowls on the market, it can be frustrating trying to decide which one is best for your dog. You could always try a few different bowls (maybe you already have) but we want to make the process a little easier.
Through extensive research and reading reviews, we put together a list of outdoor dog water bowls that we feel will meet the needs of just about anyone.
Before Purchasing a water bowl
Does the dog water bowl fill automatically? Maybe not a necessity, but this feature is quite convenient especially during the summer months when you might be away and your dog is left alone in the yard for several hours. Usually there is a place to connect a hose to these types of bowls and will keep your dog’s water bowl filled no matter how much they drink.
What materials is the bowl made out of? Pretty much the only choices you have are plastic or stainless steel. Either material should be adequate, but they each have their advantages depending on the bowl.
Where outside is the bow going to be? Something to consider since some of these bowls may need a level surface to perform optimally meanwhile a few of the bowls will work wherever you place them. Also, it might be worth looking for a wall mounted dog water bowl if you think your dog will knock over or try to destroy a free-standing bowl.
These are just a few things you might consider when reading through our list trying to decide which water bowl is best for your dog.
Top 7 Outdoor Dog Bowls
This list will contain some of the best outdoor dog water bowls for your dog regardless if they’re super energetic or like being lazy and relaxing under the shade tree. You’re likely to find an outdoor dog bowl that works for your dog no matter their personality.
K&H Pet Products Temperature Controlled Bowls
If you live somewhere where it gets cold enough to freeze water, then you know the struggle of trying to keep your dog’s water bowl full of water. Not because they knock it over, but because it becomes a giant ice cube tray if left outside for any length of time. This outdoor dog water bowl is temperature controlled and keeps your dog’s water from freezing in temperature as low as -20°F.
This outdoor bowl features a 5.5’ steel wrapped cord that keeps the electronics away from your dog and the elements and uses just a moderate 25 watt making it quite energy efficient for use all winter long. K&H Pet Products even offers a one-year limited warranty on the bowl to ensure it works just the way you need.
Key Features of the Temperature Controlled Bowl:
- Ice-Free Water – As stated before, the heated water bowl makes it great for winter when your dog needs access to water outside in the cold.
- Energy Efficient – No need to worry about this bowl causing your electric bill to go up. 25 watt power is barely noticeable and very efficient.
- Stainless Steel – Stainless steel build means the bowl can take a beating and will be easy to clean.
Petmate Replendish Gravity Waterer w/ Microban
One great thing about outdoor dog bowls is that they are designed to be efficient and convenient. The Petmate Replendish Gravity Waterer is no exception and has a ton of great features. With outside dog bowls, it’s always a struggle to keep them full of water and even when you find a bowl big enough that you can keep filled. It’s nearly impossible to keep the water clean and fresh but with an automatic water bowl, you solve both of those issues. Using gravity flow technology, this bowl slowly dispenses filtered water to your dog over time keeping the bow full and the water fresh and clean.
Key Features of the Petmate Replendish Gravity Waterer:
- Stays Clean Longer – This particular automatic water bowl uses microban antimicrobial product protection while helps fight against the growth of odor causing bacteria.
- Great for Busy Pet Owners – Busy dog owners don’t always have time to constantly refill water bowls but this water bowl dispenser provides your dog with plenty of fresh water throughout the day without you doing anything.
- Great for Outdoors and Indoors – While not exclusively for outdoors, this dog water bowl comes in sizes from ½ gallon to 4 gallons. We recommend the 4 gallon model if you’re going to be putting it outside (we assume you are if you’ve read this far) or have large dogs.
Bergan Pet Waterer Automatic
The first outdoor dog water bowl to feature a way to directly connect a hose to the bowl, the Bergan Pet Waterer Automatic provides an endless supply of fresh water for your dog when they’re outside. The best part is it’s as easy as connecting your garden hose to the bowl and letting the water start flowing. There’s no complicated setup and you don’t have to worry about your dog not getting enough water because they always have access to a fresh supply of it.
Key Features of the Bergan Pet Waterer:
- Standard Hose Hookup – No complicated setup and it uses something most people already have sitting in their yard.
- Promotes Better Hydration – Believe it or not, many dogs prefer running water and will drink more if they have access to a water bowl that provides that for them.
- Wall Mounting Option – If you have a more aggressive dog, mounting the bowl to the side of your house or a shed can keep them from knocking it over. There are options to mount it to the floor as well if that works better for you.
PetSafe Drinkwell 2 Gallon and Big Dog Pet Fountains
The first large outdoor dog water bowl that we’ve put on this list is the PetSafe Drinkwell 2 Gallon fountain. As it says in its name, the dog fountain has a large 2 gallon capacity making it great for large dogs or multiple dog homes. The free-falling water feature of the fountain promotes hydration in dogs who prefer to drink from a bowl with flowing water. Dehydration can lead to kidney disease in dogs, so this is a great way to improve the health of your dog. The foam filters in this water fountain are great at removing hair and dirt from the bowl keeping the water fresh. Flowing water also prevents bacteria growth. In a standard bowl, you’re likely to see some growth and debris especially in one with this capacity.
Key Features of the PetSafe Drinkwell 2 Gallon Dog Water Fountain:
- Large Water Capacity – 2 gallons is a ton of water to have in a bowl but when you have large dogs, they tend to go through water rather quickly. Having a large capacity water bowl, you won’t have to worry about it running dry during the day.
- Easy To Clean – With a large fountain like this you would expect it to have a lot of parts that are hard to remove in order to properly clean it. That’s not the case with this product. It is made of BPA-free plastic and comes apart fairly easily which makes cleaning quick and easy. They even list it as being designed to have less corners and crevices that are hard to clean.
H2O Animal Hydration Aqua Buddy
Similar to the Bergan Pet Waterer, the H20 Animal Hydration Aqua Buddy connects directly to your garden hose to supply your dog with fresh drinking water throughout the day. This sturdy water bowl is made from a durable polypropylene and is completely sun resistant so you don’t have to stress about finding somewhere shady to store it. Like most outdoor dog water bowls that connect to the hose, the Aqua Buddy will give your dog fresh and flowing water to drink from encouraging better hydration.
Key Features of the Aqua Buddy Automatic Waterer:
- Connects Directly to the Hose or Indoor Water Supply – Best used as an outside water bowl but it can also connect to a refrigerator water supply to be used as an indoor water bowl too if you wanted.
- Durable Build – The polypropylene build means it is durable and cleans quite easily.
- No Overflow – The bowl won’t overflow so you don’t waste any water. The bowl only keeps as much water in it as needed to keep your dog hydrated.
Important Note: Some reviews mentioned the connection from the bowl to the hose failing. It’s probably best to not get this particular bowl if your dog likes to move their water dish around a lot or will be rough with it which could lead to the connection breaking. Just something to keep in mind. Overall we still think this is a great product for the price.
PetSafe Drinkwell Indoor/Outdoor Dog Fountain
While the Drinkwell dog fountain has an insane 450 ounce water capacity, it is not a purely outdoor water bowl which means you can use it wherever you need it. The fountain comes with replaceable carbon filters that remove any odors or bad tastes and keeps the water fresh for your dog. Designed with higher sides than normal helps to reduce any splashing or spills when your dog is getting a drink. Like the other fountains or garden hose connected water bowls on this list, this outdoor dog water bowl encourages your furry friend to drink more water due to the running water. Not much else needs to be said about this product. It is well-built and from a company that has been around since 1991 providing high-quality pet products.
Key Features of the PetSafe Drinkwell Indoor/Outdoor Dog Fountain:
- Large Capacity – 450 ounces (roughly 3.5 gallons) is a ton of water to store in a dog fountain and is great for dogs who are active and need a lot of water during the summer or multiple pet households.
- Outdoor Design – Unlike cheaper products, this outdoor water fountain is built with UV resistant plastic that prevents the bowl from fading.
- East to Clean – Nothing beats an outdoor dog water bowl that is easy to clean. The fountain is BPA-free and completely dishwasher safe (top-shelf only of course).
DIY - 5 Gallon Dog Water Station
This is something we always like to recommend here on this site. DIY projects are great for those of you who are good at building things and want an inexpensive alternative to the standard outdoor dog bowl products. This DIY dog water station makes use of a large 5 gallon bucket and a 3-4 inch deep tray to give your dog more than enough water to keep them hydrated while outside.
To learn how to make this outdoor dog water bowl yourself check out the video below:
Best Outdoor Dog Water Bowls Wrap-Up
When it comes to staying healthy, proper hydration is one of the biggest concerns for dog owners. It becomes an even bigger problem when you have an outside dog and you live in a dry or hot area because keeping regular water bowls full can be a challenge. Dogs need on average 8.5 to 17 ounces of water per 10 pounds every day. Water is great at flushing toxins and regulating the body temperature of your dog so it’s important they always have access to a fresh supply of water 24/7.
Our list of the best outdoor dog water bowls is not an exhaustive list but it should be enough to pick one that will suit you and your dog’s needs. These products are some of the best available and will help your dog stay hydrated much better than a regular plastic bowl. We hope this list was helpful and made your job of keeping your dog healthy a little easier.