Tired of your dog making a watery mess every time they get a drink of water? If you’re anything like us, you’ve had your share of wet socks from walking through a puddle near your dog’s water bowl. Well we’re here to save your socks and floor from your messy drinker.
We went in search of the best dog water bowl mats you can buy and compiled a list of the ones we think will benefit anyone who has a dog that spills water all over the place. No more scrubbing and cleaning around your dog’s bowl just to keep your floors clean and dry.
If you’re interested in finding the perfect dog water bowl or avoiding spills all-together, take a look at our spill proof dog water bowls and automatic dog water bowl articles.
- Best Overall – Leashboss Splash Mat Dog Food Mat – The tall lip and simple design are all you need to keep your floors dry even from the messiest drinkers.
- Best Budget – Gorilla Grip Silicone Pet Feeding Mat – An affordable mat that is 100% waterproof. Keep your floors dry on a budget.
- Runner Up – Reopet Silicone Dog Bowl Mat – Affordable, highly rated and keeps your dog’s mess off your floor and on the mat.
Leashboss Splash Mat Dog Food and Water Bowl Mat
When it comes to finding the best dog water bowl mat, you have to consider how it will handle an entire bowl of water being dumped over. It’s not uncommon to have dogs who like to play with their bowls and occasionally knock over the entire contents of the bowl. The last thing you want is to have all that water on your floor.
The Leashboss Splash Mat dog water bowl mat is designed with an extra tall lip (0.6” up to 0.75” on the XXL mat) to contain any spills your dog may be able to create and keep your floors dry. With a modern, diamond pattern and non-slip surface, this dog bowl mat is great for even the messiest dog.
Key Features of the Leashboss Splash Mat:
- Three sizes: M/L (20” x 13”), XL (25” x 17”) and XXL (30” x 22”)
- Three colors: Black, Blue and Grey
- Extra tall lip to contain spills (0.6” on M/L/XL and 0.75” on the XXL)
- Food grade silicone
- Easy to clean and top-rack dishwasher safe
- Non-slip surface with modern diamond pattern
- Suitable for regular food and water bowls as well as raised feeders
Leashboss is so confident in their product, they even advertise it for other uses around your house. Feel free to use it in your mudroom, as a shoe mat, to catch litter from a litter box, under your sink and anywhere else you can think of. The flexible silicone means you can roll the mat up and take it with you when traveling with your furry friend to use in the car during your travels.
Reopet Silicone Dog Bowl Mat
Available in 2 different sizes, this silicone dog water bowl mat is simple and effective in keeping the mess your dog makes on the mat and off of your floor. The raised border along the edge of the mat keeps food and water on the mat. The silicone material makes cleanup super easy, just wipe the mat down after each use and that’s it.
Key Features of the Reopet Silicone Dog Water Bowl Mat:
- Two different sizes: 18.5” x 11.5” and 20”x15”
- 8 different colors – Black, Blue, Brown, Green, Grey, Navy Blue, Pink and Red
- Easy to clean silicone
- Raised outer border to prevent spills from getting on your floor
- Perfect to use while traveling and easy to store
This water bowl mat can hold just about any type of bowl you want to use including stainless steel, plastic or silicone bowls. The silicone material that this product is made out of is 100% safe for your dog to eat off, so you never have to worry. If the mat is too dirty to clean with a wet cloth, feel free to toss it in the dishwasher as it is dishwasher safe.
Overall, it’s easy to see why this product has almost 9,000 5-star ratings at the time of writing this. It’s inexpensive, made of high-quality materials and they even have a satisfaction or your money back guarantee that should provide peace-of-mind for the biggest skeptics.
Gorilla Grip Silicone Pet Feeding Mat
Three different sizes available along with 11 different colors, makes this silicone dog water bowl mat a great fit for just about any dog and house. Silicone is such a popular material used for these mats due to their resilience and ease to clean. The Gorilla Grip mat is completely waterproof and protects your floor from the messiest eaters and drinkers.
The raised edges and thick lip act as an extra barrier if you happen to have an extra messy dog. The easy-to-clean silicone is dishwasher safe, BPA free and hypoallergenic making it completely safe for any dog to eat off of.
Key Features of the Gorilla Grip Silicone Pet Feeding Mat:
- Three different sizes: 18.5” x 11.5”, 23” x 15” and 32” x 24”
- 11 different colors to choose from
- High-quality silicone material
- Raised edges to contain spills
- Easy to store when not being used
- Textured topside help reduce sliding and keep your dog’s bowls in place when eating and drinking
A silicone mat is especially useful if your dog likes to push his bowl around after he’s finished eating or the water is low. The silicone keeps the bowls from being pushed around the room and forces you to go hunting for them the next time you want to feed your dog or fill the water bowl.
The product has 4600+ 5-star ratings and the worst ratings tend to be about a puppy chewing up the feeding mat. Unfortunately, these mats are completely indestructible and may not be the best if your dog decides to chew it up, but for most dogs, this shouldn’t be a problem.
DogBuddy Dog Food Mat
An effective dog water bowl mat with an extra high outer lip that prevents even the messiest dogs from getting their food and water on your floor, the DogBuddy Dog Food Mat comes in three different sizes and five different colors.
This mat is once again a high-quality silicone mat with 100% dog safe materials that you can use for any of your pets to keep their food and water located on the mat instead of a mess that you have to clean or potentially walk through getting your socks wet.
Unlike a few of the mats on our list, this dog water bowl mat has no textured surface and is completely smooth. This makes cleaning the mat much easier without worrying about any grooves to wipe out. Another advantage of a smooth surface is that your dog’s food and water bowls contact more area of the mat making it even harder for the bowls to slide around.
Key Features of the DogBuddy Dog Food and Water Bowl Mat:
- Three sizes available: Small (19 x 12 inches), Large (24 x 16 inches) and XXL (32 x 24 inches)
- Five Colors
- Dishwasher safe
- Easy to travel with
- Silicone material 100% free from BPA, PVC and Phthalate making it perfectly safe for all your pets to eat from
- Waterproof mat making it great to use under food bowls, water bowls and even pet fountains to protect your floors from water damage
As of writing this, this mat has nearly a perfect score with close to 6,000 ratings. The best thing about it is that if you’re not satisfied, you can return the water bowl mat, so there’s virtually no risk involved when buying it.
Pet Feeding Dog Food and Water Bowl Mat
This is the first dog water bowl mat on our list that isn’t made of silicone. Silicone has many advantages when it comes to keeping spills and messes contained but sometimes you want a mat that resembles more of a rug especially if your dog if your dog doesn’t make big messes or drip water all over the place.
Made from high-quality PVC material, this water bowl mat is soft and doubles as a comfortable place for your dog to lay or even sleep on. It’s completely safe and Eco-friendly so you don’t need to worry about it hurting your dog at all.
The spill-resistant surface helps absorb small spills and messes made while your dog eats and drinks. While we noticed the mat catches small messes, it isn’t completely waterproof and some of the reviews mentioned that water can leak through to the floor underneath.
We recommend this to protect your floor from minor spills but if your dog frequently flips his water dish over, this may not be the best mat for you.
Key Features of the Pet Feeding Dog Water Bowl Mat:
- Two sizes: S (24” x 16”) and L (35” x 25”)
- Slip resistant prevents the sliding of bowls and the mat while your dog eats or gets a drink
- Easy to clean – Feel free to vacuum this mat to clean up any food or rinse it off if the mess is too much for a vacuum
- Easy to store – Rolls up and is compact to store when you’re not using it
- Risk-free purchase- If you’re unhappy with the mat after buying it, they promise to do what they can to resolve any issues
Overall, we see this mat as a light-weight dog water bowl mat and nothing more. We recommend it for smaller dogs that don’t make huge messes, but if you need something more sturdy, then we recommend one of the previous silicone mats from this list.
Who Needs a Dog Water Bowl Mat
Let’s be honest: anyone who owns a dog can benefit from buying a quality dog water bowl mat. No one likes to walk through the kitchen in the middle of the night and step in a puddle of water that your dog left behind after getting a drink.
Not only is it unpleasant to step in, but water damage is a real concern if you leave your dog’s water bowl on carpet or hardwood floors. On carpet, water spills can leave your carpet moldy and on hardwood floors, water can warp the wood and force you into costly repairs.
Spending the money on a quality food and water bowl mat will make life as a dog owner just a little bit better and can save you time, money and future headaches by protecting your floors.
Features to Look for in Dog Water Bowl Mat
- Material. The most common materials you’ll find are silicone, rubber, plastic and fabrics that are absorbent. The material you choose really comes down to preference as long as it’s high-quality and safe for your dog. If you can’t decide for yourself, feel free to grab one of the mats we listed as they’re made of safe and reliable materials.
- Waterproof. The most important feature to look for when buying a mat for your dog’s food and water bowls. Waterproof mats guarantee that no water is going to leak through to the floor below. Nothing would be worse than buying a mat and having no waterproofing. You may as well not even use a mat at that point.
- Tall Lip/Raised Edge. These are almost a must if your dog has a habit of tipping his water bowl over. The raised edge will contain the contents of the water bowl and prevent it from spilling all over your floor.
- Size. Most of the mats we listed here come in multiple sizes so it should be easy to find one that fits your needs. When it comes to picking a size, consider if you need it to hold just the water bowl or food and water bowls. If you have a smaller dog, you may be able to fit two bowls on a smaller mat. Consider the size bowls you use and then pick a mat that can accommodate those bowls.
- Color. Probably the least important feature but still worth noting if you care about the aesthetics of the room you will be placing the mat. You can never go wrong with picking a more neutral color that can fit any room.