Anyone who has a dog knows how hard it is to keep their water bowl full of fresh water at all times. Sometimes life gets in the way and you forget and the bowl will run dry. It might not seem like a big deal but keeping your dog hydrated is an important part of being a pet owner. If you have a large dog or even multiple drinking from one bowl, find a reliable self-filling water bowl can be a huge time saver. Automatic dog water bowls keep your dog’s water bowl full and the water fresh.
What advantage does an automatic dog waterer provide over a standard dog water bowl? Well the biggest advantage is that it will automatically refill your dog’s bowl with fresh water and you never have to worry about mildew or debris buildup. Each dog water dispenser will have their own unique features, but we’ve put together a list of some of the better rated products to save you the time and energy.
Pioneer Pet Self-Filling Dog Water Bowl
The pioneer pet fountain is a great choice for dogs who prefer a more natural experience when getting a drink. It might sound funny but some dogs prefer running water. It can be stressful trying to get them to drink sitting water that you would find in a regular plastic water bowl. The circulating drinking water gives a more natural look to your dog’s water bowl and will encourage them to stay hydrated.
One of the great things about this automatic water dispenser is that it not only circulates the water but it comes with charcoal filters to ensure your dog has fresh and safe drinking water at all times. They recommend you change the filter every 2-4 weeks though to keep the water as fresh as possible.
Important Features of the Pioneer Pet Raindrop Fountain:
- Easy to Assemble and Keep Clean – the stainless steel dispenser is dishwasher safe and makes removing any build up easy with just a quick soak in vinegar.
- Adjustable Flow – You can adjust the strength of the flow by using the built-in lever. It’s important to note that the maximum setting can lead to some spilling or splashing so they recommend you start out on the lowest setting and adjust it as needed.
- Charcoal Filter – The charcoal filters keeps the water if your dog’s bowl safe to drink and clean from any debris so you know your dog always has a clean source to drink from.
- New 96 oz. capacity – The new design reduces the number of times you have to manually refill the fountain each day saving you time without worrying about an empty water bowl.
PetSafe Drinkwell Zen Stainless Steel Dog Water Dispenser
For those of you who have multiple dogs or large dogs, the PetSafe Drinkwell Zen automatic water bowl is probably what you are looking for. The 128 oz. stainless steel bowl is large enough that you won’t constantly be refilling it throughout the day. This fountain is designed with a free-falling stream to encourage your dog to drink more throughout the day. Many pets prefer running water so giving them what they enjoy is key to keeping your pooch hydrated.
Just because the fountain holds a lot of water, that doesn’t mean it has to be noisy. The pump for this particular model is submerged to provide quiet operation so you don’t have to store it in a room that makes your dog walk too far for a quick drink.
Key Features of the PetSafe Drinkwell Zen Water Fountain:
- Easy to Clean – Dishwasher safe and designed to easily disassemble for cleaning. You don’t have to worry about frustrating parts so cleaning is a breeze.
- Filtered Water – Like other free-flowing dispensers, this product uses activated carbon to remove any foul taste and fights against odors so the water is always fresh for drinking.
- Constant Circulation – As mentioned before, the free-flowing design appeals to your dog’s desire to drink running water. Not all dogs need this feature but it’s nice to have if you struggle to get your furry friend to drink throughout the day.
Bergan Pet Waterer Automatic
Outside dogs are the most susceptible to dehydration if their bowls run dry just because they can’t alert you and are exposed to the elements. The Bergan automatic watering bowl is a great solution because it doesn’t hold a set amount. It hooks up directly to a hose so your dog is always being delivered water when they get thirsty. .You no longer have to constantly fill the bowl throughout the day and supply your dog with fresh water or worry about dehydration.
This particular product is a great and affordable option because it utilizes something just about every household has available. If your dog tends to be a little aggressive or hyper with their water bowls, you can always anchor the waterer to a wall outside so it never tips over.
Key Features of the Bergan Pet Self Waterer:
- Easy to setup – Simple as connecting your outside hose to the Auto-wata and turn the faucet on
- Supplies flowing water – Many dogs prefer flowing or running water so this particular product should encourage them to drink more water
- Secures to a wall – More aggressive dogs may knock it over but this water dish makes it easy to attach to the floor or mount to an outside wall
Veken Pet Fountain Automatic Dog Water Dispenser
Dog and cat owners who want a dog water bowl that’s completely customizable and aesthetically pleasing, then the Veken Pet Fountain might just be the perfect fit for you and your dog. This fountain comes with 3 different settings that let you adjust how the water flows out into the bowl. It’s great for smaller dogs who may be picky so you can try each style out to find the one that works best for your dog.
One of the great things about this product is that it keeps the water your dog drinks fresh for up to a week. They recommend you change the water and clean the fountain weekly to make sure the water is always suitable for your furry friend to drink. This dog bowl is also for indoor use only and extremely quiet so you never have to worry about it distracting you or getting annoyed by the noise it makes.
Key Features of the Veken Pet Fountain Automatic Water Bowl:
- 3 Unique Flow Designs – This automatic dog waterer comes with 3 modes: gentle fountain, flower waterfall and flower bubble. Experiment with each mode to find the one that your dog likes the best.
- Triple Filter System – This is unique to this product and something we didn’t see in most of the other self filling water bowls we looked at. This pet fountain comes with 3 replacement filters that have a cotton layer, activated carbon and ion exchange resin. This removes anything that could be harmful to your pet and keeps their drinking water as fresh as possible.
- Flowing Water – It’s no surprise this is one of the key features for just about every automatic water dispenser. Dogs and other pets love drinking fresh and flowing water. Giving your pet the option to drink flowing water is likely to encourage them to drink more keeping them healthy and hydrated.
PetSafe Drinkwell 360 Multi-Pet Stainless Steel Dog and Cat Fountain
PetSafe seems to supply some of the best multi-pet automatic pet bowls available. This particular automatic water bowl is easily one of the most appealing in this article. With a capacity of 128 ounces, this product is great at keeping multiple dogs hydrated no matter how big they are. This automatic waterer gives you up to 5 free falling streams that encourage your pup to drink more water throughout the day.
One thing we all love as pet owners is when easy cleanup is involved. Being a good pet owner is such an involved process that sometimes cleanup is a long and strenuous process. With PetSafe Drinkwell you don’t have to worry about cleanup being difficult. The stainless steel bowl is easy to wash and even dishwasher safe (top shelf only).
Key Features of the PetSafe Drinkwell 360 Dog Waterer:
- Customizable Streams – Adjustable flow control allows you to tweak the flow of the streams to perfectly accommodate what your dog likes.
- Multiple Pet Design – No need to have multiple bowls throughout the house with this large dog water bowl. The 360 designs allows multiple pets to drink from the bowl at the same time.
- Filter System – The multi-pet water bowl comes with replaceable carbon filters that remove any bad tastes or odor so your pet always has fresh water.
BONUS: DIY Self-filling Water Dispenser
Something different for those of you who are a little more creative or crafty with your hands. Creating a large water dispenser for your outdoor dogs is the perfect idea and can be accomplished in an afternoon. The process involves a large (5-gallon) water jug and a somewhat deep tray or cat litter box to create the perfect waterer for outside dogs.
Check out the video below for step by step instructions: