Does your dog devour his food at every meal like it’s going to be his last? Do you ever worry that maybe he’s eating too fast? You are right to be concerned if this is how your dog eats. Eating too fast can lead to health issues. Dogs who gulp their food have an increased risk of choking or gagging on their food. Another, more serious, concern is that they swallow too much air with their food. This can lead to stomach pain, vomiting and bloat (gastric dilation-volvulus) which is a life-threatening emergency that requires immediate treatment.
So, how do you solve this problem and force your dog to eat slower? The simple answer is to use an anti gulp dog bowl also known as a slow feeder bowl.
What is a Slow Feeder Dog Bowl?
Top Anti Gulp Dog Bowls
Outward Hound Slow Feeder Dog Bowl
Most slow feeder dog bowls are going to get the job done when it comes to reducing the pass your dog eats, but dogs can be picky eaters. Finding a bowl they are willing to eat from can be a challenge. Buying an affordable and durable dog bowl should be your main priority and the Outward Hound Fun Feeder is the perfect balance of quality and price.
The key features of this slow feed bowl are:
- Slowing down the eating speed of your dog by up to 10 times. The unique design creates ridges in the bowl requiring more effort from your dog to get each piece of food.
- Non-Slip Base – Keeps the bowl in place while your dog pushes to get every piece of food in their new maze food bowl
- Dishwasher Safe – Top rack dishwasher safe means less work from you after every meal
Neater Raised Slow Feeder Elevated Dog Bowl
The Neater Raised Slow Feeder splits your dogs meal into smaller portions to prevent him from swallowing large amounts at one time. There are 3 inches between each peak to allow all dog breeds to still reach their food without much effort. This means even flat nose dogs can still eat their food.
- Holds one to six cups of dog food depending on which bowl you purchase) or 4.5 inches (2.5 cup version)
- Adjustable Height – The bowl can reach a height of 7.5 inches (6 cup version)
- Double Diner variation provides a spot for 2.5 cups of food and an 8.5 cup water bowl next to it (height can be adjusted up to 7.5 inch height)
Siensync Slow Feeder Dog Bowl
This anti gulp dog bowl is designed to keep mealtime interactive while keeping your dog from eating too fast and becoming bloated or choking. The unique design promotes slower eating to reduce vomiting, obesity and bloating. It can even help your dog lose weight because they won’t be able to overeat.
- One Size Fits All – The bowl claims it works great for dogs of all sizes. Can hold up to 2 cups. This slow feed bowl can even double as a travel bowl if you want.
- Food Safe Materials – BPA, PVC and Phthalate free
- Dishwasher Safe – Like most of the bowls on our list, the Siensync food bowl is top rack dishwasher safe making cleanup hassle-free.
Flexzion Anti-Gulping Slower Feeder
Designed to reduce how fast your dog eats, this anti gulp bowl comes in two sizes that have a minimalistic design compared to many of the other slow feed food bowls we’ve seen. The bowl comes with 3 pillars in the middle of the bowl to split up the food so your dog isn’t able to take large mouth fulls of food.
- Rubber Feet – Prevents your dog from pushing his food bowl around while he tries to eat around the columns in the middle of the bowl.
- Three Raised Columns – A simple yet effective design that slows food consumption and is suitable for all types of dogs.
- Dishwasher Safe – We all love easy cleanup and this bowl can be thrown in the dishwasher making dinner time cleanup quick and simple
Dogit Go Slow Anti Gulping Dog Dish
The Dogit Go Slow bowl is another dog bowl that has a simple design. Suitable for wet or dry food, this bowl is effective and affordable.
- Dishwasher Safe
- Comes in 4 sizes – Extra small, Small, Medium and Large
- Slows food intake – Prevents bloating and indigestion
Why is my Dog Gulping His Food?
If your dog is gulping his food down at every meal, chances are this is a learned behavior or an underlying medical condition. For some dogs, feeding time as a puppy was all about competing against his brothers and sisters for a chance to get some food. If your dog experienced this at an early age, then it’s likely a behavior that has carried over and may show up to a greater extent when there are other dogs around.
Another possible reason for eating too fast is a medical condition. Dogs who aren’t getting the nutrients they need from their meals may be left feeling hungrier. Causes of this could be a parasite denying your dog of nutrients or their food simply isn’t supplying them with the nutrients they need. If this behavior is new or you’re uncertain of why this might be happening, we always recommend making an appointment with your veterinarian just to make sure there isn’t an underlying condition.
How To Make Your Dog Eat Slower?
Well the first thing you can do to modify your dog’s behavior and slow him down when eating is to buy an anti gulp dog bowl. They are effective and inexpensive solutions to potentially harmful behavior. Not every bowl is going to work for you so we recommend reading some reviews before making a purchase just to see how they helped other dog owners in a similar situation.
If you still notice that your dog is acting hungry all the time and not satisfied after each meal, consider switching higher-quality food or even check with your vet to make sure there isn’t a parasite or something else causing this unwanted behavior.